For all the advice about how to approach and attract influencers, I haven’t seen much written about how to actually become an influencer. It’s important, because once you’re seen as an influencer, you’re seen as an industry equal and a resource. You’re no longer perceived as a nuisance constantly broadcasting your own agenda, hoping others will relay.
Being an influencer yourself is an often overlooked way to engage with other influencers. It takes time, but it is worth it. There is also financial benefit to becoming an influencer. People of influence have increased value, and can charge more for their services.
Here are some effective techniques.
- You Must Create Content
- Go After a Niche
- Create a Regular Series
- Request to Interview Influencers
- Offer Yourself for an Interview
- Contribute (for Free) to Well-Trafficked Media Outlets
- Go After Your Industry’s “Whale” Publications
- Connect Your Story With a Current Trend
- Connect Your Brand With a Much Bigger Brand
- Engage With Your Audience